December 2nd! Cookies baked….cookies boxed…tags made… decorations added to boxes…post office! (Thanks Brad) Once again it is time to join all the 1000’s of other bloggers participating in the 2015 Great Food Bloggers Cookies for Kid’s Cancer fundraiser. Just another reason to celebrate this time of year…having fun and helping.
A big hi y’all from downtown Nashville, Tennessee to my 3 new food blogger friends who will receive a tin of cookies from Food on Fifth. Please go over and check out their blogs, see what they are up to and give them a shout.
Lisa Lotts at http://www.garlicandzest.com
Aimee Broussard at http://aimeebroussard.com
Allison Day at http://blog.fridgg.com
This year my cookie is a simple, easy slice and bake “Chocolate-Chai Pistachio Tea Cookie”.
I get all my ingredients measured and ready before I start baking. Quickly assembled and chilled this dough is easy to slice. I love the green of the pistachios against the chocolate.
This little not-too-sweet cookie is great with a cup of hot tea, which I had while packing up cookies to mail. Notice the sanding sugar…adds just a bit of crunch.
I like creative packaging that has a homemade, yet stylish look. This year I added my small collage “art cards” inside each tin and tied my business card with twine around the outside. Yes, those little squares with a hole punched into the corner are my business cards!
These incredibly fun cards with my name and info on back & a different instagram photos on the front…each one a different food photo… I have printed at Social Print Studio, a fabulous online site.
Thanks to Lindsay http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/ and Julie http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/ for organizing this yearly fundraiser and for inviting all of us to participate in this good, “sweet” cause.
Chocolate-Chai Pistachio Tea Cookies
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp instant chai
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- sanding/decorating sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter, sugar and salt until well mixed.
- Add egg and blend well, scraping down side of bowl when need be.
- Add cocoa powder & chai to mixture blending until well incorporated.
- Add flour, a few tablespoons at a time, with mixer on low until blended. Dough will be stiff.
- With mixer on low add pistachios. Scrape cookie dough out onto a work surface and knead together. Divide dough in thirds and form into 3 cylinders, each about 8 to 10 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Preheat oven to 375. Cut chilled dough into 1/4″ slices and bake on sheet pans lined with parchment paper.spacing 1″ apart for 12-15 minutes. Immediately out of the oven sprinkle cookies generously with sanding/decorating sugar. Cool cookie completely on wire racks.
- To gift: place in tins or boxes with parchment paper sheets between layers.
- These cookies will keep for days in a sealed container and are just delicious with a cup of hot tea or milky coffee. A not-too-sweet cookie with lots of chocolate-chai flavor!
Teresa Blackburn http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com www.foodonfifth.com