A few weeks ago Wouter was working in Los Angeles and I had the week at home to myself. Busy with photo shoots and faced with all the craft services tables and lunches every day on set, I decided to make sure I ate cleaner and healthier when at home,
My friend Terry is always referring to her “bean diet”…I am not sure what that is exactly..but she swears by it. With this bag of “Orca Beans”, also known as Calypso or Yin Yang Beans, and the recipe on the back of the package as my guide, I made a killer salad and went on my own version of the “bean diet”.
As you probably know from lots of past blog posts I am a big fan of Bob’s Red Mill products and these Orca Heritage Beans are no exception. I had not seen this particular type of bean before, but the black and white random patterning…much like an Orca Whale….
…appealed to me very much. These particular beans came from Washington state, but they can be found in Mexico as well.
Wonderous dried beans deliver lots of flavor, protein and are easy to cook. Blended with mangoes, oranges and avocados, lime juice and jalapeno peppers they become even tastier.
Rinsed and cooked in water with salt and pepper….drained and cooled down…..
…tossed with fresh ingredients….
…this salad gets better each day.
A killer Orca Bean salad….Bon Appetit!
Killer Orca Bean Salad with Mangoes, Oranges & Avocados
- 1 cup Orca Beans, rinsed & drained
- 4-6 cups water
- salt & black pepper for cooking beans
- 2 cups chopped fresh mango (peeled)
- 1 cup chopped fresh orange (peeled, de-seeded) with juices
- 2 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
- juice of one lime
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 to 2 fresh avocados chopped (peeled & seeded)
- Place beans in a pot with the water and season with salt & black pepper. Bring to a boil, turn to simmer and cook just until beans are softened (but not mushy). Drain cooked beans in a colander and rinse with cool water. Let drain for a few minutes.
- Put cooked, cooled & drained beans in a large bowl along with the chopped mango, orange and jalapeno pepper.
- Add lime juice, salt & black pepper to taste and cumin powder and toss gently. Add chopped avocado if serving immediately, otherwise cover and chill salad and add avocado right before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. This salad keeps chilled for 3 to 4 days. It just gets better and better!
Adios sweet, cool April and Hello warm May.