Can one be an “accidental cookbook author”? Is such a thing possible? Yes…I am living proof that by just being in the right place at the right time some amazing things can happen totally by accident! I so enjoy working and styling food for cookbooks and have worked on many over the years. I, on the other hand, have never been particularly interested in doing one of my own. So it was even sweeter and more fun when I got this pre-release cookbook cover image from Spring House Press and there was my name right under Zack Browns! Me, the accidental cookbook author!
“The Peace, Love & Potato Salad Cookbook”, the story of a crowd-sourced $55,492 bowl of potato salad, published by Spring House Press is to be released this coming July 2016. As the cover says it will have 24 delicious recipes for seasonal potato salads which proves that potato salad is not just for summer picnics and such, but should be enjoyed all year.
As a “tease” I am going to share with you one of the 24 recipes I conjured up and developed, tested and styled for this book with Zack who was a joy to work with. If you have not already heard about his potato salad Kickstarter project then a quick look here will tell you more. All the gorgeous images are the work photographer Danielle Atkins. The person who brought us all together…who was the glue…is J Spinks…art director extraordinaire.
How I got involved with Zack’s Kickstarter is another story, but that is all in the cookbook. This was a labor of love that I worked on just for the absolute fun of it as well as my interest in pursuing projects that are works of good.
Later on there will be some cookbook giveaways and other fun stuff. Today I share with you a yummy spring potato salad recipe, “Egg, Apple & Smoked Trout Potato Salad with Cider Dressing”, to tease your potato salad palate, . Enjoy!
Egg, Apple & Smoked Trout Potato Salad with Cider Dressing
Tossed with pepper arugula and watercress and smoky trout, this entree potato salad is exquisite. The apple slices and cider vinegar add a fresh dimension. Served with good crusty bread and a chilled white wine, it’s just what spring calls for.
- 1 lb baby Yukon gold or honey gold potatoes
- 2 tart apples, thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 handful watercress
- 1 handful baby arugula
- 8-10 ounces smoked trout, separated into chunks
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- Bring potatoes to a boil in salted water. Reduce heat and simmer, about 20 minutes, until potatoes are knife tender. Drain and set aside. Once cool, cut each potato in half.
- Toss apples with the juice of 1/2 lemon and set aside.
- Make the dressing: Put the egg yolks, additional lemon juice, and a dash of salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. With processor running, drizzle in olive oil until mixture has thickened. Add the mustard and vinegar. Pulse to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To serve: gently toss the potatoes, apples, watercress, arugula and trout with the dressing. Place mixture on a serving platter or individual plates. Scatter sea salt and pepper over salad. Top with egg pieces and drizzle with additional olive oil if desired.
reprinted with permission from Spring House Press