A craving for chocolate and for a good dark chocolate brownie in particular doesn’t come over me often. I can be happy with a little bite of a dark chocolate bar most of the time, but sometimes I get a brownie craving and nothing will sate this but to whip up a batch. The results you see above. This might be an easy recipe to make for someone you love this coming February 14th or just for yourself. I used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour, lots of dark cocoa, dark chocolate chips, espresso powder and only 1 cup of sugar….oh yes and browned butter!
The browned butter adds a layer of unexpected flavor and texture. The doubling of dark cocoa and chocolate chunks make one “lava flow looking” brownie.
I used gluten-free flour just to see how it would work with my recipe and I think the results were delicious, especially if you enjoy a less cake-like brownie. These brownies keep for days in the refrigerator as well.
Happy Valentine’s Day all Year Long.
Browned-Butter Dark-Chocolate Lava-Flow Brownies
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup raw or regular sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup King Arthur Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in lower part of the oven. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan and line with two crisscrossed sheets of parchment paper long enough to come up the sides of the pan. Grease paper.
- To brown the butter, melt the stick of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook butter, while whisking, until it is a pale golden color with darker brown particulates, for 8-10 minutes. Stir the sugar into the browned butter.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and espresso powder until well blended. Let mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be thick and shiny.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and flour until you do not see any streaks of flour, continuing to beat vigorously for about 50-60 strokes.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Cool brownies in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Remove cooled, uncut brownies from the pan by lifting up the edges of the parchment paper and placing on a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares or smaller into 25 squares.
These brownies keep very well chilled for up to 10 days in the refrigerator. They also make a great gift for your no-gluten friends.
4 thoughts on “Browned-Butter Dark-Chocolate Lava-Flow Brownies – Gluten Free and Lower Sugar”
I will make these with the special ingredient sometime. However Jim might best make some first
Sent from my iPhone
You’re killing me!
So yummy it is 🙂