I hope you have had a good and peaceful holiday. I hope you enjoyed doing whatever you did to celebrate. Maybe the festivities are still going on? It’s pretty quiet here at Food on Fifth this late Christmas Day afternoon. We have had our family dinner party and are going to enjoy some leftovers for dinner. Leftovers…I hate to toss food out so I am forever turning one thing into another. Such is this little recipe for turning that leftover cranberry sauce, whether homemade or store-bought, into one yummy ice cream. It’s got the sweet, the tart and the spicy in every bite.
3 ingredients. 15 minutes active time. A bit of stirring and swirling and sprinkling. It really is as easy as this.
Soften good quality store-bought ice cream. Add in whole cranberry sauce and pink peppercorns. Swirl around. Cover and refreeze. Scoop. Eat.
The creamy sweetness of the ice cream along with the tart cranberry sauce and spicy pink peppercorn bits are a pretty dreamy Holiday dessert. Maybe for that New Years Eve celebration?
Leftover Cranberry Sauce and Pink Peppercorn Cheater Ice Cream
- 1 quart of good quality vanilla ice cream or gelato softened to where it will swirl
- 1/2 cup leftover whole cranberry sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- Scrape softened ice cream into a metal loaf pan.
- Top with cranberry sauce and pink peppercorns.
- Using a knife, swirl the cranberry sauce and peppercorns into the softened ice cream. Smooth out the top. Cover with a plastic wrap directly on top of the ice cream mixture then cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Place in the freezer for a few hours or overnight. Scoop and enjoy. Top with additional peppercorn if you like. Sweet, Tart, Spicy!
Teresa Blackburn. http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com