I know, I know…it’s now January and “we” are supposed to show a bit of restraint. All those resolutions and all. Well it’s cold outside and the sun has not been seen here in Nashville much lately. It’s damp and dark. We need fortification!
Personally I like dark, Winter days. I call this time “hibernation with intent”. I enjoy puttering about and making stuff, such as these incredible infused vodkas. “Blackberry-Thyme” and “Rose Petal and Pink Peppercorn”. One more full-bodied and hearty, the other more delicate and subtle. Both easy to make and very fortifying indeed.
Delicate rose petals and spicy pink peppercorns….vodka.
Juicy blackberries and herbal-scented thyme….and vodka.
Put jars in cool dark place such as closet. Shake every now and then. If you start the process on a Friday your flavored vodkas will be ready to decant for happy hour the next Friday.
Chilled, like the weather, until icy cold.
Stay cozy, Prost….Cheers…..Saluti….Skal.
DIY Boozy January
- 4 cups vodka
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dried rose petals (food grade)
- 1/4 cup whole pink peppercorns
- Pour 2 cups of vodka into 2 clean glass jars.
- Add to one jar the blackberries and thyme leaves. Push down into the vodka. Cover with tight-fitting lid.
- To second jar add rose petals and pink peppercorns. Stir. Cover with tight-fitting lid.
- Put both jars in a cool, dark cabinet or closet for 5 days. Shake each jar once a day.
- Decant each flavor of vodka by pouring through a fine mesh strainer into a measure cup. Then pour each one into glass bottles with tight-fitting lids. Stick in the freezer for a few hours. A shot will warm you up! I promise. You can also use to make your favorite vodka cocktails. How about as a gift? So many options.
Teresa Blackburn. http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com