Fresh pears in a brown sugared-whole wheat crust, baked until caramelized with just a splash of dark rum and a hint of cardamom might provide some comfort and solace for this week in winter, January 2021. The kitchen is where I find I can take a deep breath and bring forth something delicious and comforting. That is a good thing and I need that right now.
A “Pear, Brown Sugar, Rum and Cardamom Galette” with caramelized edges to die for.
Seek solace where you can find it. Be well. Be kind.
Pears, Brown Sugar, Rum and Cardamom Scented Galette
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 sticks/1/2 cup chilled butter, but into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 large, ripe, but somewhat firm pears – cored, cut in half and thinly sliced, keeping slices together
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cream to brush edges of crust
- 1-2 tablespoons raw or Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor combine whole wheat flour, granulated sugar, salt and cardamom. Pulse to mix. Add butter pieces and process until mixture is crumbly looking. Add egg and 1 teaspoon milk to processor and pulse until a dough forms. Add more milk if needed. Dough will be a bit moist.
- Form dough into a ball, press out flat into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Let dough sit out for 10 minutes.
- Mix together cornstarch, brown sugar, rum and vanilla extract until well blended.
- On floured surface roll dough disc out to make a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Edges will be jagged and that is okay. Place dough on parchment paper lined sheet pan. Gently place sliced pear halves, cut side down, on dough circle nestling them close together, leaving an edge of dough all around to fold over fruit. Fold dough edges up and over the sliced pears, leaving the center open.
- Drizzle cornstarch mixture over and down between the pears. Brush edges of the crust with the cream and sprinkle the raw sugar over all.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until galette is golden brown and bubbly. Let cool on the baking sheet. Serve in wedges. Great with whipped or ice cream.