…as easy as this..
It’s almost Spring…in a few weeks we will be thinking about eating cooler, not warmer, but for now let’s enjoy hearty bowls of hot soup and stews, healthy and filling.
This is a “pantry” soup using cans of cannellini and black beans, a large can of fire roasted tomatoes, garlic, onions, hot pepper flakes and sliced chicken sausages from the freezer. Shreds of sharp white cheddar, a skillet of hot cornbread and maybe a cold beer to round out a casual dinner while waiting for Spring.
Use the bread to sop up some broth for added flavor……..If you need a great, but easy cornbread recipe click here…it is classic and Southern and delicious.
here..have a bite…
A little recipe to get you started….feel free to be creative…add in some spinach or kale leaves, or any of your herbs. You can’t mess it up…it just as “easy-as-this”.
Easy Bean and Chicken Soup
- 1 pkg of chicken sausage links, sliced
- splash of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large can fire-roasted tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water, or chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes for cooking and serving
- shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add in sliced sausage pieces, garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, until garlic and onions are translucent.
- Add in beans, tomatoes and water or broth. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, turn to simmer. Add in a generous pinch of red pepper flakes if you like hot, or less if you do not, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and your favorite cornbread and if you need a really good, classic Southern recipe, click here. You might need a cold beer to cool things down a bit. Enjoy the warmth and coziness while the weather allows.
Teresa Blackburn http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com