Here is a somewhat healthy drink to end this year, or to start your 2015 off deliciously.
A mixture of fresh pink grapefruit juice, coconut water, vanilla beans, a honey or agave nectar based simple syrup, seltzer water and a bit of fresh fruit for a garnish with or without a splash of Vodka is pretty healthy…..no?
Totally and absolutely inspired by Donna Hay Magazine Dec/Jan 2015 Issue. Pages of beautiful cocktail ideas for the Holiday season..lovely photographs..an intriguing mix of ingredients.
A Mocktail…no Vodka, a Cocktail with a generous splash!
I stumbled upon some fresh red cherries in the supermarket. In December? These along with some of my candied Buddha Hand citrus pieces..perfect garnish.
Big chunks of candied citrus. Citrus & honey simple syrup. (Go here for how to make candied citrus and a simple syrup. Any citrus works the same. If you want use either honey or agave nectar.)
Serve over ice…sip..relax. Here’s a toast to a Happy and Interesting New Year Y’all.
Pink Grapefruit Juice & Coconut Water Cocktail/Mocktail
- 4 cups pink grapefruit juice (fresh)
- 4 cups coconut water
- 1 vanilla bean, split to allow seeds to come out
- 1/2 to 1 cup citrus/agave simple syrup (to taste)
- 2 bottles of seltzer water
- Good Vodka for Cocktail, or not for a Mocktail
- candied citrus peel or candied ginger for garnish
- fresh fruit – cherries, mango or pineapple chunks for garnish
- A few hours before serving mix together the grapefruit juice, coconut water, split vanilla bean & simple syrup in a large container. Stir well. For this you can use a punch bowl or glass jar dispenser as I did. Cover and chill.
- Meanwhile make garnishes by spearing fresh fruit & candied citrus peel or ginger on a short skewer. Cover & chill.
- When ready to serve add seltzer water to the drink container & the Vodka to taste. If you prefer to have “kid or non-alcohol drinker friendly” mocktails add Vodka to individual drinks as desired.
Note: This drink mixture will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week…if it lasts that long! Cut recipe in half for a smaller crowd.
Based on “Fomo” a cocktail recipe in the Dec/Jan 2015 Issue of Donna Hay Magazine. I felt the original version was just too tart for my palate, so I added the simple syrup which gave this drink a more rounded flavor, which brought out the essences of the vanilla & coconut water.
Teresa Blackburn teresablackburnfoodstyling.com foodonfifth.com