Sunday summer mornings…lazy time to make biscuits…just a little bit sweet with blueberries..softened butter, hot coffee with milk…the best of the summer in a bite.
Here is what you need: 1 cup fresh blueberries rinsed & drained; 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour) ; 2 tsp baking powder; 1/4 tsp baking soda; 1 tsp salt; 1/2 cup raw sugar; 1/3 cup frozen butter (the measurement is right on the stick); 1 egg; 3/4 cup buttermilk
Let me talk a bit about gluten-free flours…as the name says they are without the gluten that gives dough or pastry its elasticity, therefore pie crusts such as I made recently for my Rainier Cherry Galette or for these biscuits, have a “shortbread” quality. The finished crust or biscuits will be more tender and crumbly than when made with regular flour. Just keep this in mind when working with a product such as this one…handle a bit more gently and the results will be amazing.
Here is how you do it:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar & salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Very quickly grate the stick of frozen butter into a bowl. It is already “pea size”!
3. Using your fingers toss flour mixture & grated butter together. Make a “well” in the center of the flour.
4. Crack egg into buttermilk & gently whisk together. Pour into the flour well. Mix wet & dry ingredients together until a “slaggy” dough forms.
5. Sprinkle blueberries over dough. Carefully blend berries into the dough.
6. Dump mixture out onto a floured work surface. Use your hands to form dough into a ball & then pat out into a circle about 3/4 inch thick.
7. Cut biscuits with a 2 to 3 inch round cutter & place on a lightly buttered iron skillet or baking sheet. This recipe will make around 16-20 biscuits.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
Blueberries & Shortcake in a Biscuit!
Hmmmmm…a few left over for the next concoction? Bon Apetit.