This is probably it…the last great watermelon until next summer…crisp little colorful radishes, a handful of strawberries that taste like strawberries and meaty baby Roma tomatoes…my So Long Summer Salad. Bye bye for now…see you later…Sayanora sweet friends.
All cut up in a bowl…..
drizzled with this sublime Apple Balsamic Vinegar.
Tossed and chilled. Cold, crunchy, sweet and savory. Delicious piled on a bed of peppery arugula alongside a grilled steak. So long summer…it’s been good to know ya…
The Del McCoury Band – So Long, It’s Been Good To Know You
So Long Summer Salad with Watermelon, Radishes, Tomatoes and Strawberries
- 3 cups of fresh watermelon cubes
- 4 small radishes thinly slices
- a handful of baby Roma, cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- ripe, juicy strawberries, capped & cut in half lengthwise
- Apple Balsamic Vinegar (or Orange Balsamic or other fruit flavored Balsamic vinegar)
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the fruit in a large mixing or serving bowl. Drizzle with 2 or 3 tablespoons of the Apple Balsamic vinegar. Toss fruit to coat with vinegar. Chill covered for about 20 minutes.
- Right before serving, drizzle with additional vinegar, salt & black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Teresa Blackburn www.foodonfifth.com http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com
Agua fresca = Cool waters
Between my last post and today I have really not posted one single thing to my site! Call it post-European-travels-torpor if you will, but whatever it has been it seems to be lifting or at least moving horizontally! My brain and body have both been over stimulated and it took a few weeks for me to settle down. Basically I had to re-enter my domestic life and world of work gently and purposefully. I have traveled abroad quite a few times over my lifetime and this happens every time upon re-entering my “real world”. C’ est le vie!
In a later post I will share with you some of my photos and a recipe to two. While in my post re-entry period I will keep it sweet and simple with this recipe for “Watermelon-Jalapeno Agua Fresca” which will hydrate & cool you down with a little spicy bite. Good for the dog days of August.
I had a quarter of what might be the best watermelon I have ever eaten and a wee jalapeno pepper lying listlessly at the bottom of my produce drawer. A thirst-quenching duo!
Melon and pepper, seeds and all tossed into my blender….with a little icy cold water.
Ah….just what I needed after a morning of yard work!
You can use a honeydew or cantaloupe as well for this hydrating agua fresca as well.
Watermelon-Jalapeno Agua Fresca
- 4 cups sweet, juicy watermelon
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- Place melon, water and pepper in a blender and puree until liquid.
- Chill and serve or drink immediately over ice.
Garnish with thinly sliced jalapeno peppers for more “kick”
Add your favorite chilled white wine.
Make with any of your favorite melons.
Teresa Blackburn website: teresablackburnfoodstyling.com