“Pomegranate-Orange Flavored Gin & Tonics” for Summer Celebrations
Once again I found myself in the possession of a few treasures left over from a photo shoot. This time it was a package of Pomegranate Seeds and an Orange. Many of my blog inspirations come from such leftovers. I am lucky that such bounty comes to me. It is one of the many great things about my work as a food stylist. There was no way I was going to let those juicy deep red seeds go to waste…what to do…what to make..?
Along with a few cups of Gin, an orange and some sugar my plan formed. Infuse the gin with the pomegranate seeds & a bit of orange peel for the best ever G & T’s.
Here is how easy it is:
1. Put 2 cups pomegranate seeds in a glass jar.
2. Pour 3 cups of Gin over seeds.
3. Cut and add a long strip of Orange Peel.
4. Add 1/2 cup sugar to jar. Stir. Seal with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously to blend.
The magic begins. Place the jar in a dark, cool place for 1 month. I use my front hall closet where this jar keeps company with bottles of Limoncello, Vanilla Extract and Poire William…all of which are some of my other concoctions. Dark infusions!
(tick tock, tick tock….one month later)
Isn’t this the prettiest color? Now the decanting….
Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and pour into bottles with tight lids. I keep my Pomegranate-Orange Gin chilled.
My simple G & T for Hot Summer Days recipe:
1. Fill glasses with ice, pour Gin over ice, top with Tonic Water, add a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice, enjoy.
Salut! to this my 100th blog post. Join me in a toast with your own G & T this summer.