There are some fruits in particular that have an inner glow. Light does not shine on them, but come from within. Summer peaches are one such fruit. They are ageless, timeless and have an art-historical romance that is inherent.
I made my weekly pilgrimage to the Downtown Nashville Farmer’s Market to buy a paper sack of peaches from “The Peach Truck”. This is a weekly affair as long as they are on offer. I enjoy creating simple, delicious recipes using these peaches that do not cover up the natural flavors.
This is how it easy it is to make my “My-Oh-My A Little Peach Pie”. The ingredients are Peaches, sugar, frozen puff pastry and fresh lavender flowers.
Frozen puff pastry is readily available in most supermarkets. Look for brands that use real butter such as Dufour. I keep a box of this in my freezer at all times. Just follow the package directions and you can’t go wrong.
Do you peel ripe peaches? I do not unless the peel is very tough. In this case the lightly fuzzy peel was very soft and edible.
Muscovado sugar with its hint of molasses & white sugar flavored with fresh lemon zest….fresh lavender flowers….and ripe peaches.
I used the puff pastry scraps to top off this free-form pie.
Not overly sweet with just a hint of molasses-dark brown sugar & lavender made this peach pie come alive.
Here, have a bite….
My-Oh-My A Little Peach Pie
- 4-5 ripe, but firm peaches, rinsed, patted dry & sliced
- 1 pkg frozen puff pastry dough, thawed according to pkg directions
- 1/3 cup white sugar flavored with 1 tsp lemon zest, divided
- 3 Tbsps Muscovado sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lavender flowers (or 1 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold thawed puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper placed on kitchen counter. Cut dough into a 10 inch square using a sharp knife. (Roll out somewhat using a rolling-pin if necessary.) Save scraps for topping pie.
- Lift edges of parchment paper and place dough on a baking sheet & sprinkle surface with 2 Tbsp of the white lemon sugar.
- Arrange peach slices on top of dough leaving a 1 1/2 to 2 inch border uncovered. Sprinkle peaches with Muscovado sugar and half the lavender flowers.
- Arrange scrap strips of puff pastry dough over top of peaches and fold bottom edges of dough up and over the edges of the filling. Sprinkle the dough with the remaining white lemons sugar and lavender flowers.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until puff pastry dough is golden brown and crispy. Remove pie from oven and cool on a rack for a bit before serving. Wonderful warm with a scoop of ice cream or as is which is my favorite way to enjoy this seasonal dessert.
For Lemon Sugar to use in this or other desserts: add fresh lemon zest to white sugar and stir….use in your desserts to brighten up the flavors.
Recipe by: Teresa Blackburn June 2015