Timely and Easy-As-This dessert, or snack, using salted or unsalted Matzo Crackers, good dark bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate and whatever else you might have in your “quarantine” pantry to add some bling to finish them off.
Rummaging through my pantry I found pistachios, pepitas, candied ginger, dried edible rose petals, some coffee-sea salt, edible glitter, and chunky sanding sugar. There was was an orange crying out to be zested on my counter. It can be baffling what I find whenever I begin digging into my little closet pantry. It is not palatial in any sense..smaller than a wee half bath…but with a lot of constant organization it resembles a “clown car” when I start rummaging around. Most of these ingredients were little bits left in packages that I can’t toss and seem to always find a use for.
Chocolate melted and smeared….
….studded with ingredients while still melted.
After a little while chocolate will be set and matzos are ready to be broken into smaller pieces for sharing or gifting. A great combination of sweet and salty and crunch and bling! It’s so easy-as-this.
Be safe, be sweet and be kind.
Happy Passover. Happy Easter from Food on Fifth.
Dark Chocolate Smeared Matzos with Bling
- 6 whole matzo crackers, salted or unsalted ( I used unsalted as I added lots of salts to embellish)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate (you can combine the two)
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 orange zested (I used a veg peeler and then chopped the peel rather than a zester to keep the peel dry.)
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried edible flowers (Rose petals are pretty, but any edible dried flower you like will work.)
- Various sea salts…I used a coffee-sea salt and a finely ground red-pepper-salt, but there are so many to choose from..whatever you might have..kosher salt.
- 1 extra matzo for breaking up onto small pieces and adding as “bling”
Note: This is really just more of an idea than a “recipe”…use your imagination and your own collection of kitchen goodies to come up with any combos you or your family will enjoy. There are endless possibilities for sure.
- Spread 6 matzo crackers out on a flat work surface.
- Gather all your “bling” ingredients together in little bowls.
- Melt the chocolate over low heat until totally melted and smooth.
- Working with one cracker at a time, spread with some of the chocolate from edge to edge all around and while chocolate is melted sprinkle with ingredients. Repeat until all crackers are smeared and embellished.
- Allow the chocolate to harden. Then break crackers up into pieces to eat or gift in little bags or boxes. Store in airtight container. Edible Bling for dessert or a snack with hot tea or a cup of coffee. Enjoy.
Teresa Blackburn. http://www.teresablackburnfoodstyling.com