Make the cookie dough, shape into rolls, chill and bake….or make, shape, wrap and freeze for later. These thin very chocolatey, buttery, crispy lovelies would be so pretty for Valentines.
I am not one to go overboard at Valentines, but I do love a good cookie anytime of the year and this one is rather special. I used De Zaan cocoa and Kerrygold butter, Olive and Sinclair dark chocolate and Maldon sea salt flakes. The hibiscus tea is steep deep red and strong from dried hibiscus flowers I bought in Mexico. But, you can use any cocoa, butter, chocolate or sea salt you might have in your pantry. Delicious either way.
Cocoa powder and chopped dark chocolate, butter and pistachios or hazelnuts with a drizzle of dark chocolate and sea salt create a cookie that is not too sweet with a salty crunch.
Double Dark Chocolate Coin Cookies – Slice and Bake
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg room temp
- 1/4 cup cocoa good quality
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachios or hazelnuts
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon solid shortening
- 2 tablespoon flakey sea salt for topping such as Maldon
- Beat together the softened butter, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt on high until well blended. Scrape down bowl as needed.
- Add and beat in the egg and the cocoa powder until blended.
- Beat in the flour bit-by-bit using the mixer as long as possible. If dough gets too thick stir remaining flour in with a spoon. Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Scrape dough out onto a work surface and using your hands knead dough into a ball. Divid dough in half. Form dough into two logs about 1.5 inches in diameter and wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill for an hour or two. You can freeze at this point to bake later if you like. If baking from frozen thaw in refrigerator overnight before slicing.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice cookie logs into 1/4 inch slices and place on an ungreased cooked sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are a bit firm to the touch. Cool cookies on wire racks.
- For the chocolate drizzle, melt the chopped chocolate and the shortening in a pan over low heat. Stir with a metal whisk and use the whisk to drizzle the melted chocolate over the baked and cooled cookies in a random pattern. While drizzle is still melted sprinkle on the sea salt flakes. Allow drizzle to set for about 30 minutes.